- I never want to draw attention to myself, but that’s all I do.
- Guitars are like women. You’ll never get them totally right.
- Being told no was the big thing ever since I can remember. And that was always getting in the way of creativity.
- Musicians never actually talk about music.
- The split between Axl and I was a quiet one. But because there was so much attention on the breakup — and are we going to get back together? — it got built up into this monster that led to a kind of animosity that wasn’t the focus for me. Neither one of us wants to be down each other’s throats for no reason. At this point, I’m trying to put it to rest. So I try to avoid the subject.
- No interest. I don’t tell my kids about those days. One is seven. The other is nine. One is really into his skateboard. I look at him and see myself, and I’m like, “Just do it, man!”
Here are a few quotes:
[...] After a while the studio turns into Das Boot. A group of dudes trapped together day in and day out. To add to the surreality of it all a documentary camera crew follows our every move. Not sure what is to come of this footage. Dvd? Documentary? Blackmail material? Who knows? The camera crew have now become part of our Island Of Misfit Toys. [...]
The pace has been about one song a day though we’ve managed to fall off that pace here and there. The riffs are fat and huge and heavy. Slash plays solos live off the floor that are epic and as impressive as anything in his catalogue. And that’s a formidable one.
The only constant is Slash. Les Paul and Marshall. All you need is an American guitar and a British amplifier and you can take over the world. [...] The funny thing is I have a feeling that even if he did have a completely different set up going it would still sound very much like him.